Gallery of past work

Thursday 16 May 2013

Sudden Green

I was told by a friend the other day that the human eye can detect up to forty different greens but only twenty different reds. I don't know how true this is but I can well believe it. The Wiltshire countryside and our garden seem to have them all just now.

With the sudden green of spring around me, my post on green is organic in inspiration and mostly from my garden - with the exception of the first photograph.

This is a piece of work completed by my daughter for a school exam project in art when she was 16. It was based on a photograph she took of the greenhouse at Balmoral Castle in Scotland. One of my most treasured possessions, its colour made it seem so right for this post.


It contains blue-greens not found anywhere else at the moment, as all the vegetation is young and fresh.

In our garden, there are the  pale only-just-greens of newly furled fern leaves. So fleeting, they have a wonderful fragility about them.













Then there is the deep, dark green of the ivy on the old yew trees behind the house (darker and richer than this in reality) ...





and all of those 38 shades in between....















The surprising and sudden growth is dominating my thoughts and I haven't focused on much else. Even driving to an art group meeting this morning, I spotted this lovely simple green bench surrounded by fresh grass and daisies. How English and spring-like is that!



If you're not sure what this is all about, Julie B. Booth's threadborn blog will explain!

8 comments:

  1. Enjoying your spring greens! Thanks for taking part again in the search.--Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't seem to search far this time, so it'll be especially interesting to see what others come up with.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes green is so vibrant and beautiful. Love your images and your daughters beautiful creation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both for visiting. It's been such a sudden and surprising spring here this year. The greens seem more vibrant than ever.

      Delete
  3. Such a nice range of greens! (And, my, is it good to see so much fresh new green again this spring.)
    The piece by your daughter is lovely - what a nice treasure to have...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for dropping by. You are right - I can't remember when I was last so pleased to see spring and the new growth and to feel (fleeting) warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that bench sitting amongst the daisies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. The bench is on a quiet country lane in a small village near us - a lovely spot!

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.