Gallery of past work

Saturday 11 April 2015

Between the lines in Cirencester

At the end of last week, I spent a most pleasurable afternoon visiting exhibitions in the two excellent gallery spaces that we have in Cirencester.

The first I went to was Between the Lines, an exhibition of stitched textiles by East Anglia Textile Artists (EAST) in the Corinium Museum. The second was the International Biennial for Paper and Fibre Art touring exhibition which has found its way to New Brewery Arts where it will be staying for two months until the end of May. I'm going to post about the first today and will save the second until I have had time to visit for a second time and to take some better photos.

The work showing in Between the Lines was inspired by the one hundredth anniversary of the beginning of the 1st World War. It can be seen until 19 April. It samples many aspects of the conflict, including the lives of the women left behind and of the soldiers on their return. Much of it was very moving and thought-provoking.

The lighting, however, was very difficult for photography so I am limited in what I can successfully show from my own photographs. I have therefore included a few taken from the EAST website to give a wider taste of the exhibition.

In fact, I begin with a photo which shows two of the pieces I particularly liked in another location and shown on their Facebook page. It shows The Thorny Fence by June Carroll and I include a detail I took myself. The latter shows the piece in its true colours.



I also very much liked the two 'broken vases' by Anne Norton, shown on the shelf on the right in the top photo and called 'Devastation'. I include a detail of one of the vases that I was able to take successfully together with the explanation of the work provided alongside.


I was more successful in photographing the last two pieces of work. The first is The Passage of Time by Lorna Rand. I found this very personal piece particularly touching.


The second shows one of two exquisite pieces of hand embroidery by Delia Pusey called The Language of Flowers. These were based on her own collection of World War 1 embroidered post cards. One can hardly begin to imagine the feelings of the wives and girlfriends at home who received the originals. 


As a footnote, I include a photo I took of some of the lovely sketchbooks which were shown, and which it was possible to look through at leisure. As a keen maker of such records of my own experiments, I so enjoy this kind of opportunity. This time was no exception, though my photo does not really do the generously laden table justice. 


For those who live close, this is certainly an exhibition to savour. I hope, if you visit, you enjoy it as much as I did. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.