Gallery of past work

Thursday 11 February 2016

Stitching on photos and extending the line 2

I'm playing further with the idea begun here of stitching onto the surface of a photograph and extending and echoing the lines within it in pen and stitch. This time, there is just one large image placed on the watercolour paper ground.


Once I had placed the photo carefully on the paper, it was held in place with delicate surface frogtape whilst I stitched it onto the paper. This tape worked very well as the photo didn't shift when I stitched and the tape didn't lift the surface of either the ground paper or the photograph when it was removed.

I think this tape will be very useful in helping me to position all sorts of photos and drawings on lots of surfaces - very many thanks Olga for the suggestion - and I think the reel containing 41m should last me a lifetime!


6 comments:

  1. j'adore la composition... un travail pensé...beau!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grand merçi, Elfi! Quand j'ai le temps pour clarifier mes pensées, j'irai expliquer mon travail récent en noir et blanc ... beaucoup de pensées creatives à mes vacances ...

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I LOVE this! And such potential!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very many thanks, Marny. I'm finding this idea great fun ... and it seems to have long legs so much more to come, I think.

      Delete
  3. I love the whole concept of "extending the line"...beautiful explorations so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated by the idea too - especially the thought of working 'outside the frame' of an image, extending aspects of it as a contrast in tone or density of mark. It's one of the ideas I'm playing with just now.

      Delete

Hello and thank you very much for taking the time to leave a message on my blog. Every comment is welcome and I will try to answer you as soon I can.